November 10, 2020
We’re going from learning about what an entrepreneur is to how to become one! Join us as Ebony Miller-Wesley, director of Rochester Institute of Technology’s Center for Urban Entrepreneurship, leads us through what it takes to get a business off the ground and, more importantly, to keep it going, especially in Rochester. Oftentimes the backbone of a community, these small businesses are driving the economy and are so important, maybe more now than ever.
- This Rochester gem is a model across the country.
- Serving the underserved entrepreneur.
- Small businesses are at the heart of community and the economy.
- Nexus i90 - it’s a game changer!
May 28, 2020
In this episode we're exploring the inner workings of the spirit of entrepreneurship. What drives someone to pass up the security of a steady paycheck, benefits, and safety that come with a "regular" job? We dig in with author David Sax, whose book The Soul of an Entrepreneur explores how the drive, passion, and consequences of pursuing a goal can be both the source of one's greatest joys and deepest pain.
- Not all entrepreneurs are Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs.
- Values? It’s an entrepreneur thing.
- The why is more important than the what.
- The time to reclaim the soul of the entrepreneur is now.
April 30, 2020
We're bottling up some Noble Ambition with Jason Barrett, founder and head distiller at Black Button Distilling. In these unprecedented times, Jason and his team are distilling more than just great spirits for your glass; they're distilling hope for our community. Join us as we learn about how they went from being essential to our taste buds to being essential to our health and well-being - in just a matter of days - and what they need from us to keep it up.
- Reinventing the Self Is Good for the Soul...and Business
- Staying Agile, Essential, and Successful in the Time of COVID
- Diversifying on the Fly Can Lead to a More Durable Brand
- Surprising Similarities between Your Favorite Spirits and the Best Hand Sanitizer
April 8, 2020
In this episode, we're hitting the books with Rishad Tobaccowala, futurist, innovator, and business soul-finder. With more than 40 years of insight, learnings, and musings on the state of business, he has distilled the “must dos” for leadership into actionable lessons for every company in his new book. Creating growth, retaining health, and Restoring the Soul of Business.
- Change sucks, but irrelevance is worse
- The future doesn't come from the heavens; it comes from the slime
- The architecture of creative destruction
- Restoring the soul of business
March 3, 2020
Meet Vincent Bragg: Former convict, current revolutionary. In this week's episode of Higher Order, Vincent takes us on his incredible journey to build ConCreates, an innovative and radical creative agency that's flipping what we know about brand strategy on its ear. By tapping into talent from the unlikliest sources - America's incarcerated populations - Vincent is subverting our expectations of the kind of value these creative individuals are capable of contributing. But it hasn't always been smooth sailing, and carrying the colors of his company hasn't always been easy. One thing that has been a constant? His Noble Ambition.
- Being Bigger Than Your Worst Day
- Leading with Your Weakness Is a Sign of Strength
- Social Change in Lockstep with Business Success
- Second Chances Are Transforming More Than You Think